Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Believe it or not, you’re exposed to mold every day. Some forms of mold you can see, however there are many that you can’t. Whether it grows on your walls, floor boards or even your shower curtains, mold is an unappealing sight to look at. Some people don’t pay any mind towards the mold and just let it grow. Having mold in your home can cause an issue for health concerns, especially for those who are prone to allergies or asthma. That is why we here at SERVPRO of Pasadena North, have technicians who specialize in mold remediation, so that we can take care of your mold problem. Our crew members take extreme precaution to ensure that we remove every last bit of the mold so you and your loved ones are not affected by it.
Water Mitigation Leads to Mold Remediation
A job usually turns into a mold remediation after the affected area has experienced some type of water damage. That’s why it’s important to contact SERVPRO right away to get started on fixing the problem before it gets worse.
Primary loss site is the kitchen. The walls and cabinets in the kitchen had high moisture readings. We had then learned that the water traveled to other rooms, so we immediately ran our moisture tests and discovered moisture in the other rooms. Once we got permission to remove the hard would floor, we saw that mold had started to grow. The picture is of mold underneath a staircase where the water traveled down to. The mold remediation process has now begun. Our technicians must remove the mold off both the walls and studs. Mold remediation must be done with extreme caution to ensure the mold can’t affect any other areas.
What You Should Know About Mold
Mold is very interesting, but gross at the same time. We here at SERVPRO want you to know if you have a mold problem, we can take care of it. However, there are some things about mold that you should know. When you hear the term "black mold", you may think that its very harmful. What you should know is that mold can be all colors and its color doesn't dictate how harmful it may be. The color of mold may vary, due to whatever type of material it is consuming. Mold releases spores and may cause an allergic reactions, no matter what color or what type of mold it is.
Just keep in mind SERVPRO of Pasadena North, has highly trained technicians who specialize in mold remediation.
What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. It can be found both indoors and outdoors. Research has shown that mold grows best in humid, warm and moist environments. Mold commonly occurs in homes during the winter because of the significant amount of moisture in the air. Below are the common types of molds found indoor.
- Aspergillus - grows on dust, food made from powder, and most commonly found on drywall.
- Cladosporium - can grow in both cool and warm environments and is typically found on fabric and on the surface of wood.
- Penicillium - often has a blue or green color and is typically formed on objects that have been affected by water.
- Alternaria - is found in most common damp areas, such as showers or under sinks.
SERVPRO of Pasadena North is open 24-hours, don’t hesitate to call us at anytime. We can have a team of professional technicians, to start on your mold remediation right away. We’ll make it, “Like it never even happened.”
Don't Let Mold Trick You
The beginning of the year, usually starts us off with cold and wet weather. Durning these times, you may notice an increase of moisture in your home. Wether it be on your walls, books, clothes, your child’s toys, mold can grow there. Mold is easier to deal with because you can see it. However, mold spores can be found everywhere and they’re invisible to the naked eye. Spores are found both indoors and outdoors and can travel through your home in many different ways. For example, open windows and ventilation systems are primary ways mold spores can enter your home. The way mold begins to grow is only if the spores were to land on a surface where there’s an excessive amount of moisture. As a reminder, SERVPRO of Pasadena North specializes in Mold Remediation. Give us a call today for a free estimate (626) 447-4111.
Signs of Mold
How can you tell if you have mold in your home? Mold has a very distinct and musky smell to it. If you start to notice a very disturbing smell coming from certain walls or platforms in your home, the chances are mold is growing in that area. However, in order to determine whether or not you have mold in your home, an environmental testing company must do the proper tests for our technicians to operate. As you may know, mold can get you sick. It is best that you stay away from the affected area and under no circumstances should you touch mold or clean it yourself. Being exposed to mold can cause excessive sneezing, runny noses, red eyes and even rashes. That’s why it’s best that you call a professional like SERVPRO of Pasadena North, who have the proper knowledge, equipment and highly trained technicians that specialize in mold remediation. We take pride in resolving your mold issue and leaving it, “Like it never even happened.”
Jack O' Lantern
Halloween is around the corner. SERVPRO of Pasadena North would like to share some tips on how to keep your Jack O' Lantern (Pumpkin) from getting moldy fast!
Follow these easy steps:
- After your pumpkin has been carved, rinse it out with water to get rid of excess strings and gunk.
- Take a large bucket or tub and fill it with three gallons of water.
- Stir three teaspoons of bleach into the water.
- Dunk in the pumpkin.
- Then you add silica by removing the top of the pumpkin. Take a silica bead and embed it into the interior of the pumpkin. Do not stick the bead in so far that it changes the appearance of the pumpkin's exterior.
Silica packets are largely available with the following items:
- Beef jerky
- Shoes and shoe boxes
- Cat litter
- Purses or wallets
Mold is commonly found in most places in our environment like our homes and we may not even know it. Mold can be a serious problem in your home or business because it can spread quickly.
What causes mold?
Mold can be caused by a variety of water intrusion problems like a roof leak or leaking water line that is not taken care of in a timely manner.
Is having mold in your home a health hazard?
Yes, mold can cause health problems. Especially, to children, those with comprised immune systems such as; elderly persons and those with respiratory problems.
When dealing with mold in your home it is very important NOT TO:
- Touch or disturb the mold.
- Blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
To prevent mold you should:
- Reduce moisture levels in your bathroom by running a fan during and after your shower.
- Fix plumbing issues like leaks to prevent moisture problems and water damage from accruing because water damage is the main source for mold growth.
- Increase airflow in your home by opening windows.
- Cleaning, disinfecting and drying surfaces daily
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Pasadena North for mold remediation services at (626) 447-4111.