Keep Your Home Safe From Halloween Fires
Halloween time is one of the most fun times of the year for children and adults! Pumpkin carving is a staple of this holiday but BE WARE of possible fire hazards from these fun but dangerous festivities.
Here are some tips to keep your home safe this year:
- Swap out the old fashioned fire candle to light up your Jack-O-Lantern with battery powered candles or glow sticks
- If you do end up using fire candles please keep them away from any drought tolerant pants or fires.
- For the trick-or-treating children: teach them to stay away from lit pumpkins, do not kick them or move them in anyway
- Use a flashlight when out getting your sweet treats!
According to the National Fire Protecting Association (nfpa.org)
- From 2014-2018, an average of 770 home structure fires began with decorations per year.
- More than two of every five (44%) of these fires occurred because the decorations were too close to a heat source, such as a candle or hot equipment.
- More than one-third (36%) of these fires were started by candles.
- More than one-fifth (22%) of the decoration fires started in the kitchen; 16% began in the living room.
Source: NFPA Applied Research
For more tips on Halloween safety visit; https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Fire-causes-and-risks/Seasonal-fire-causes/Halloween