Recent Fire Damage Posts

You Can Never Be Too Safe

1/11/2019 (Permalink)

A fire can happen on your property at any time. We here at SERVPRO of Pasadena North provide around the clock services 7 days a week. If you need us, we'll be there. What separates us from other restoration companies is that, when we receive the call from you we immediately assemble a work crew and send them your way. As a SERVPRO employee, our priorities are to ensure the job is done right the first time and consistently update our client on the progress of the job. The reason we do this, is because more often than not your home is the biggest investment you make. Therefore, we do everything in our power to ensure the customers happiness and leaving it, "Like it never even happened."

Christmas Tree Safety

1/11/2019 (Permalink)

Although, Christmas tree fires are not common. When they do occur, they can pose serious damage. Christmas trees can catch fire quickly and spread rapidly throughout the home. Here are some tips on what to do when shopping for a Christmas tree and when placing it at home! 

When picking the tree

  • Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.

Placing the tree

  • Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2" from the base of the trunk.
  • Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
  • Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
  • Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.

Lighting the tree

  • Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
  • Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer's instructions for number of light strands to connect. 
  • Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
  • Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.

After Christmas

  • Dispose of tree after Christmas. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.

Check with your local community to find a recycling program. Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer! 

Have a Happy and Safe Holiday from SERVPRO of Pasadena North!

New Years SAFETY Tips

1/11/2019 (Permalink)

New Year's Eve celebrations

Please take extra care during New Year celebrations.  Many of the things we enjoy during this festive period,  like fireworks, Christmas  lights, candles, paper hats and decorations can all be fire hazards when you do not properly take care of them.

Here are some tips to keep you safe this New Year

  • If you are planning to celebrate with fireworks, store them in a metal box, read the instructions, never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.

  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don't leave them burning unattended.

  • Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.

  • Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on. Take special care with fairy lights and outdoor lights. Always switch off and unplug lights before you go to bed.

  • Check your lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power)

  • Never leave cooking unattended.

  • Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and use the New Year as a reminder to clean it and remove dust.

SERVPRO of Pasadena North understands that New Year's celebrations are a time to have fun with family and friends!  Read and follow the tips to help have a SAFE holiday!

Happy New Years 2019

Fire Safety Tips

1/4/2019 (Permalink)

The National Fire Protection Agency reported that in 2016, there were 1,342,000 fires reported in the United States. These fires caused 3,390 civilian deaths, 14,650 civilian injuries, and $10.6 billion in property damage.

Some accidental fires that occur are most commonly caused by:

  • Cooking Equipment
  • Heating
  • Smoking in bedrooms
  • Electrical Equipment
  • Candles
  • Curious Children
  • Faulty Wiring
  • Barbeques

That is why we strongly recommend taking full precaution to keep your loved ones and property safe at all times. Here are some helpful tips:

  1. Never leave the kitchen unattended, when stove is on. Keep close watch of pots and pans that can quickly overheat and can potentially ignite a fire.
  2. Make sure heating equipment wiring is in good condition and have it maintenance yearly. Place heater at least one meter away from any objects and furniture.
  3. Avoid smoking indoors. Not only is smoking a health hazard but it is also dangerous to do so indoors.
  4. Make sure all electrical equipment is functioning properly and all cords are intact.
  5. Never leave candles unattended especially around small children. Always remember to turn candles off after every use.
  6. Children can be very curious, it is important to keep them safe by removing any flammable substances from their reach.
  7. Replace faulty or damaged wiring.
  8. Extinguish barbeque grill flames after every use.

Holiday Fire Safety Tips

1/4/2019 (Permalink)

The holidays are a joyous time when we celebrate many festivities with our loved ones. However, it is also a time when many accidental fires occur. We at SERVPRO want to help ensure our customers have a happy and safe holiday season. Here are some helpful tips to help keep you and your home safe:


• When selecting a Christmas tree make sure pine needles are green and vibrant.
• Water Christmas tree daily, the average tree requires about a gallon of water. This will help avoid drying out.
• If tree does dry out do not plug in the tree lights.
• Do not leave tree lights on overnight.
• Keep Christmas tree away from heated surfaces such as fire places and heaters.
• Never leave lit candles unattended, especially around small children and/or pets.
• Always extinguish fire place after every use.
• Do not place any objects near heaters.
• When using the oven or stove, do not leave it unattended.
On behalf of our family at SERVPRO we would like to wish you and your family a Happy Holiday!

Key tips to guide you through the aftermath of a fire.

4/4/2018 (Permalink)

A fire in your home or business can be very devastating. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from fire/smoke damage and also widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts.  Here are some tips what to do after the fire.

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

Call the professionals at SERVPRO to get the damage under control. Fire and water damage can leave your house unsafe and unlivable. WE are trained to clean and restore your home with as little disruption as possible.

Always Be Prepared

1/22/2018 (Permalink)

Experiencing fire damage can be a very stressful situation. The leading cause of fires in a home or business most commonly occur when cooking or smoking, heating units and/or electrical issues. 

After any fire damage, your primary focus should be safety:

    • Is it safe to stay in the home?
    • Electrical hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
    • Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.

 Things you should do after a fire and smoke damage:

    • Limit the movements in your home after a fire damage to prevent soot particles from spreading damage to upholstery and carpet. 
    • Keep your hands clean.
    • Place dry towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet in high traffic areas.
    • If you turn off the electricity completely empty the refrigerator and prop doors open. 
    • To prevent soot from sticking to chrome on kitchen/bathroom faucets or fixtures protect them by applying a small amount of petroleum jelly or oil. 
    • Change HVAC filter
    • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out the HVAC system.

No one ever expects to experience a fire damage, but if it does occur you can count on SERVPRO of Pasadena North. Our technicians are well trained to cleanup and restore your home and/or business. We are available 24-hours 7 days a week to help you get your life back together. 

Fire, Smoke, Soot, and Ash Cleanup

1/22/2018 (Permalink)

If you’ve every experienced a home fire, then you know how devastating it can be. A house fire is something no one everyone should experience. However, if a fire were to occur, SERVPRO of Pasadena North specializes in fire cleanup and restoration. 

After a fire has occurred smoke, ash, soot, and a smoky odor are most likely what’s going to be left behind. Not only are they harmful to your home, the aftermath of a fire can also be a harmful to your health. We advise you to just sit back and let the professionals handle the situation. Our crew members are highly trained and know exactly how to treat a fire damage after it has occurred. Taking matters into your own hands may only make the situation worse and even cause you health issues.

SERVPRO of Pasadena North is here to help. Call (626) 447-4111, for any concerns you may have about a home fire.